Sunday, 14 July 2013

Sarah Louise Smith - Izzie's Cold Feet

Today I welcome Sarah Louise Smith onto my blog to talk about her latest novel, Izzie's Cold Feet. Lovely to have you Sarah, now take it away!
 
Izzy’s Cold Feet
One bride to be. Three ex-boyfriends.

Izzy is engaged to Greg, who is everything a girl could want.

The trouble is – all she can think about is the men she loved before she met him: sexy Ewan, the first love of her life; dependable Jason, who loved her more than she deserved; and irresistible Dexter, who broke her heart…

Then there’s the fact that her sister has been missing since Izzy was twelve. After such a traumatic childhood all Izzy wants is a normal, happy, settled life, but love is never simple.

In the week leading up to her wedding day, Izzy is forced to ask herself who she loves the most. And, given the choice, who would she want to spend her life with?

What inspired you to start writing?

I have been writing since before I can remember. As a child, I’d write stories with pictures and it was just always something I loved to do… so it’s hard to know what inspired me in the first place, but I love books. Reading has always been a passion so I suppose writing naturally followed suit.
Do you have a specific writing style and has it changed over the years?

I think my style is pretty much the same as it always has been but (hopefully!) I’ve improved when it comes to writing better prose, dialogue, etc.
How did you come up with the title of your latest novel?

It took me forever to decide! In fact, I submitted it to my publisher called ‘Untitled’. I wanted to use my characters name so I thought about it for a while and somehow, Izzy’s Cold Feet just came to me.

Are events and experiences in your work ever based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No, not deliberately. I’m sure my own experiences and feelings are reflected in the books but I would never based a character on a real person, that seems a bit mean somehow :)
How long did it take you to write your current novel?

I was writing notes and snippets for months but once I sat down and committed myself to it, about six months.

When do your best ideas come to you?

At the most inconvenient times! When I’m right in the middle of something… but also sometimes when I’m walking my dog, or driving alone in my car. I try to write them down as soon as I can so that I don’t forget.

When it comes to writing, are you a night owl or an early bird?

Early bird. I like to get up early and just sit down to write. By the evenings, I’m usually tired and not so inspired.

Do you listen to music while you write or do you relish the silence?

Silence, mostly… if I listen to my favourite music I just end up singing along and distracted. It’s not always possible to write in silence but it’s my preference.

Do you plan your story or do you let it evolve as you write?

I write the first few chapters and then start to plan… with Izzy’s Cold Feet, I actually changed the ending from my original plan!

Do you write in short or long bursts?

Long bursts. I go a week without writing and then I sit down and write 10,000 words in a day. It’s hard to get started but when I do, I can’t stop!

If you could be one of your characters - Who would you be? And why?

Ooh interesting question! Maybe Izzy. She goes through a lot, but she becomes a better person because of it, I think.

What is the last line of your last WIP you worked on that you wrote?

A few tears fell again and I wiped them away angrily.

What is one of your guilty pleasures to enjoy?

Cadbury’s milk chocolate. I have to ration myself.

 
What are at least five things you have on your bucket list and have you done any of them?

  1. Become a published author (done!)
  2. See the Grand Canyon (done!)
  3. Travel to each continent (working on it – I have a separate bucket list of places to visit)
  4. Meet my longest crush (since  I was 11), Robbie Williams
  5. Learn how to knit (random, I know)

 Tell us five random things about yourself.

  1. I love to cook.
  2. I’ve had my gallbladder removed.
  3. I have a golden retriever who is my surrogate baby.
  4. My favourite book is Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.
  5. I love boybands. The cheesier the music, the better!
 
Lovely to have got to know you a little better Sarah! I am also a HUGE fan of P&P!
Links:
You can purchase the paperback or e-versions from all the usual online book sellers.
A little more about Sarah Louise Smith...
Sarah Louise Smith lives in Milton Keynes, UK, with her husband, two cute cats and a loopy golden retriever. She has an extremely lovely step-daughter and spends most of her free time writing, reading, cooking, and taking long walks.
She’s the author of two chick-lit novels: Amy & Zach and Izzy’s Cold Feet, both published by Crooked Cat. Read Sarah’s blog at: www.sarahlouisesmith.com.

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment